Currently, there are quite a few classifications of tourism. Depending on the factors underlying it, it is divided into the following types:
1) by orientation – to international (consists of entry and exit) and domestic;
2) by nature – organized and active;
3) by time duration – short-term and long-term (from one-day to multi-day);
4) according to the range of movement – near and far;
5) according to the number of tourists – collective (group) and individual;
6) according to the method of transportation – pedestrian, bicycle, horse (as well as movement with the help of other animals – dogs, deer, yaks, camels, mules, etc.), ski, automobile, motorcycle, water, complex (including two or more ways of movement on the route) tourism;
7) by the nature of the route – speleotourism, mountain, etc.;
8) by goals – cultural, educational, environmental, sports, wellness, recreational;
9) according to the composition of participants – children’s, youth, for age groups (almost not developed in Russia) – or tourism of the “third age”, complex (for parents with children).
In recent decades, new types of tourism have appeared: – business, intensive tourism, congress, club, corporate, timeshare, elite, ethno-cultural, extreme.